Tuesday, December 30, 2008

January Picks

In 2009, January will be Secret Invasion month! No less than five SI-related tpb's are coming out, and with all the other interesting stuff also on the way, this month looks like it'll be an expensive one for me. Why don't you just skip all the irrelevant side stories? you ask. Well, I'm a sucker for cross-overs, and even though I know half of it (or more, WWH...) will disappoint me, I still crave it all.

So lets get started. The five SI titles are: Secret Invasion, Secret Invasion: Captain Marvel, Secret Invasion: Home Invasion , Secret Invasion: War Machine and Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four. I remember reading through all of Civil War was pretty exhausting, and it looks like SI will about as long. The Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. - With Iron Hands TPB is also coming out in January, but it doesn't seem to carry a SI label. There's probably a skrull or two in there anyhow. The Knauf's run is over, so I don't know what to expect from this one.

Also from Marvel is the Agents of Atlas tpb. Rumors has it that there will be an Agents of Atlas ongoing, so I'll just check out this one, to see what it's all about. Annihilation: Conquest Book 2 is also coming out. I have a review coming up for the first Annihilation series, so stay tuned. I'm not sure what to think about X-Force Vol. 1: Angels and Demons. I don't particularly like 'dark and violent', but it does seem to have some nice art and I quite liked Messiah Complex. I'll get it as a try-out. Immortal Iron Fist Vol. 3: The Book of the Iron Fist is definitely on my list, although I have yet to read the second volume of that series, and that's about it for Marvel books in January. Whew...

To give the false impression that I'm not a drooling Marvel zombie I've also included two non-Marvel books. Yea! The first one is Rasl by Jeff Smith, and anyone who have read Bone should understand why this looks interesting. The other one is Pax Romana by Jonathan Hickman. Hickman is an unturned leaf for me, but the Internet says it's good, so why not give it a try? It's supposed to be on the wordy side, and I'm a bit worried about that, because books with lots of words in them tend to make my head hurt, but maybe it'll be a nice change of pace to SI. At least there won't be any skrulls in it...

No comments: