Sunday, September 28, 2008

October picks

The leaves are falling off the trees outside my window, so what better way to kill time than to sit down and look through tpb solicitations for October!

Marvel has finally decided to reprint Marvel Zombies vol. 1 which has been impossible to get for a long while now. As everyone has been talking about this one, and I don't like not to be in the know, this is pretty high on my pull list. I managed to dig out an old CBR interview with Kirkman and Phillips.

Also from Marvel is Daredevil: Crual and Unusual. I haven't been reading Daredevil lately, but I do mean to start doing it, so I might try to figure out a good jumping on point. This could be it.

Only a couple of months after One More Day, Spider-Man fans are treated with the first Brand New Day tpb. I've heard lots of good stuff about this one, so I'm definitely getting this. I managed to find a CBR interview with Guggenheim from around the time this was originally published.

The good times don't stop here, however, as Marvel is also releasing X-Men: Messiah Complex and Mighty Avengers vol. 2: Venom Bomb in October! It's a big month for Marvel, and my wallet will be that much lighter for it... I'm still pretty angry with Marvel for releasing the tpb version of Messiah Complex after Divided We Stand, but both Brand New Day and Mighty Avengers: Venom Bomb are released quite shortly after the latest books of those series, so I consider that a small compensation. I can live with delays due to artisis taking their time, but I don't want to hear about delays caused by consideratins of sales of HC versions!

These days I mainly read Marvel, but I also keep an eye on what's coming out from other publishers. DC is releasing Ex Machina vol. 7: Ex Cathedra, Hellblazer: The Family Man, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier (TPB) and Northlanders vol. 1: Sven the Returned.

I haven't read Ex Machina myself, but I've been told it's pretty good, so I'll probably give it a try some day. I remember Harris from when he was drawing Starman (written by James Robinson). That's a great series, and I was very impressed with Harris' artwork.

I used to buy the Hellblazer monthlies and when I was reading it, it was an excellent series. I definitely recommend trying it out, although the art work can be a little so-so in the early issues.

The two League... books that's been published are excellent comic books, highly recommended. Black Dossier is supposed to be a sort of Official Handbook for the series. I heard it's pretty heavy on text, so if lots of characters makes your head hurt you should be careful with this.

Northlanders has been gathering some attention, and since it's the first book of the series I'll try this one. Also, it's about vikings so it can't be totally bad. Here's an interview with the writer of the series, Brian Wood.

That's what I've put on my list of books to look out for in October. If you agree or disagree or you feel I missed out on something, please feel free to drop a comment. Thanks to Collected Comics Library for compiling the solicitations list!

2 comments:

Chris Marshall said...

Thanks for the kinds words! I'm glad to help out!
If you like Marvel Zombies, then you may want to check out Marvel Zombies 2, Marvel Zombies: Dead Days and Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness. Some are better the other as they each tell different stories (and conflicting origins) but they're good for rainy day reading.

Michael said...

Ex Machina is brilliant. Not quite as addictive as Y the Last Man, but Brian K. Vaughan is certainly at the top of his game with Ex Machine. So I suggest you break your Marvel-only habit and check it out.

Also, it is the only comic written by BKV at moment, which makes it even more precious. Such a damn good writer.